Healthy rivers are an asset for any community. Peaceful and fun places to be near and full of wildlife. Our river Quaggy's life is depending on the awareness like many others. We wish to raise focus and care to our streams.
- will connect people with nature by developing a meaningful engagement to improve the quality of our river Quaggy
- will encourage a better appreciation of Quaggy's natural heritage to protect
- will increase awareness of lesser known plants, animals and organisms in Quaggy
- will bring the near by schools and local groups together in participation with experts and local artists
- will create a permanent informative mosaic installations about lifecycle, habitat etc for future references
Idea via Shayna Soong
"Panels - could be a clay tile with a relief impression of pond creatures so children can do rubbings using a crayon and paper. You could still include some printed information on another panel around the clay tile or next to it, perhaps with a mosaic frame around the whole thing.
Include in the funding bid some money to have a nice leaflet designed and printed for families to purchase at a small fee (eg 50p) from the cafe kiosk to do an interactive trail around the park - including the panels by the Quaggy. Could include some information, some questions to answer, challenges to do, and a space for the rubbings I mentioned earlier. Maybe a colouring picture on the back for younger children.
Ecological info - include more than just a statement of common aquatic insects/invertebrates, but also include info about the interdependence/ ecological relationships, for example caddis fly larva hatches to become winged caddis fly which is in turn food for birds or bats.
River dipping days possibly to be combined with river cleanup days
Some captures by QWAG
1. Lawrence and Julia testing for water quality by River Quaggy, Mottingham Lane, SE92. River Quaggy Clean Up
3. River Retreat (River Quaggy)
4. Trial Duck Race (potential entrants)
5. Duck Race
6. Duck Race near finishing line